- Solar Co-Op 2021 The time has never been better to add solar or an EV charger to your home or business! Frederick County and the City of Frederick are partnering up with Solar United Neighbors to organize a solar co-o ...
- Nominations Being Accepted for the 2021 Sustainability Awards The Frederick County Sustainability Commission is accepting nominations for its 2021 Sustainability Awards. These awards recognize individuals and organizations in Frederick County that have mad ...
About the Renewable Star challenge
Use renewable energy.
Earn 10 points to certify!
About the Challenge
The Renewable Star Challenge is all about clean energy – that is, electricity or heat generated from a renewable resource that emits little or no pollution in the generation process. Clean renewable energy can be generated from wind, sunlight, thermal energy stored in the ground, methane from landfills, or sustainable biomass, like crop waste.
Maybe the last time you dreamed of solar panels or other clean technologies for your home, you passed it off thinking “I just don’t know enough about it” or “I could never afford something like that.” Well, the Renewable Star Challenge is geared for homeowners and renters just like you. Our Renewable Star actions provide in-depth information about renewable energy options and technologies. The Renewable Star Challenge can help any household use renewable energy for power, heating, cooling, or generating hot water. It also shares how individuals can support the development and expansion of renewable energy industries in the good old U.S.A.
How It Works
Find actions that are right for your household based on cost, potential savings, and ease of completion. Add actions you're interested in to your Actions To Do List, or mark complete actions you've already accomplished. For each action completed, you'll earn points toward your goal: 10 points to certify as a Renewable Star. Certified Renewable Stars get recognized and entered into annual drawings for high value prizes.
Here are some additional resources that will help you get started with the Renewable Star Challenge.
Chapters from the Renewable Star Handbook:
- Renewable Star Household Profile
- Clean Renewable Energy—The Basics
- Renewable Energy Certificates
- Solar Hot Water Systems
- Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Systems
- Geothermal Heating and Cooling Systems
- Small Wind Turbines